Lento

I have recently been a huge Spanish-language music kick lately.  Most of what I listen to are songs I grew up with.  It varies from the classic stuff my parents listened to (Los Tres Aces, Vicente Fernandez, etc.) to what I listened to in high school and college (Luis Miguel, Mana, Cafe Tacuva).  A another portion of it is Spanish pop that I listened to a lot when I first got married, moved away to Florida, and then came back to Texas.  This includes Shakira, Aleks Syntec, and Julieta Venegas.

There is this one song by Julieta Venegas called "Lento" which means slow or slowly.  The song is mostly about how she wants her love interest to take things slowly.  Then slowly but surely she will be able to give everything she's got instead of going fast and having to skip over things.

Perhaps it is me getting older, but I have come to appreciate things that are done slowly.  I have found that our culture is becoming so rooted in having things now and doing things quickly that we have lost the pleasure of watching something happen.  Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE tech.  I mean come on, it does make life easier in so many ways (hello...the dishwasher is my BFF).  However, there is something to be said about enjoying the process of doing something slowly.  You gain an appreciation for things when taking an active role in making something you enjoy.  Setting a pause button on life to take a deep breath (well, not really, but something close to it).

I have found myself trying to do little things the "old-fashioned" way.  Recently my niece started making her coffee with a French press and I felt inspired to start using mine again.  I have owned a French Press for awhile, but really haven't used it at all.  It has been sitting in my cabinet for almost a year lonely and ignored.  The main reason it has been sitting there is because I can just pop a k-cup into my machine and "poof" I have a fresh brewed cup of coffee.  I felt inspired to try using it again so I went to my local H-E-B and ground up some coffee on the the coarse setting.  This morning I decided to go for it.  I used a post I found on Pinterest for instructions.  It said to use 1 to 2 heaping tablespoons per 6 oz of water.  I decided on one tablespoon.  I was trying to be cautious.  My cup of coffee turned out a bit weaker than I would have liked, but that's the beauty of it I think.  Making mistakes is very much part of life and an important part of learning and growth.  Next time I will be better at it.

I added a packet of stevia, unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a splash of Nut Pod creamer.  I also ended up using my handheld frother for that extra touch that makes it feel just a bit more special.  I also paired my coffee with some avocado toast.  A slice of whole wheat bread, slices of avocado that were sprayed with a basil infused Spanish olive oil, topped with a sliced boiled egg, and sprinkled with fresh ground pink Himalayan salt and black pepper.

Overall, I really enjoyed my coffee and avocado toast.  Those extra 15 minutes I took for myself not only set the theme for the day, but also made me feel like I pampered myself just a little.

Is there something you enjoy doing "the old-fashioned" way?  Sometimes we do things a certain way because they are nostalgic or even cutural.  Why do you do things a certain way?

Comments

Popular Posts